Mole Richardson Film Spotlight
Mole Richardson Baby LED
PETER MOLE, founder of Mole-Richardson Co., was born in Sicily in 1891. From 1917 to 1923 he worked for General Electric Company and in 1923 moved to Los Angeles with his family. His first job was at Metro Goldwyn Mayer Studio in the electrical department. Peter Mole then went to work at a rental house in Hollywood. While working for the lighting rental house in Los Angeles, Peter Mole saw that the lighting equipment and techniques early filmmakers were using were not fulfilling their potential. With the advent of Panchromatic Black & White filmstock, he saw the possibility of using the new Incandescent Lighting to replace the less efficient Carbon Arc light as a way to light movie scenes.
Joining forces with Elmer C. Richardson, a shop superintendent and teacher, and Fielding C. Coates, a chief studio electrician, Peter Mole formed Mole-Richardson to pursue this new lighting. The first Mole-Richardson lights were built in a small machine shop at the rear of a garage on Santa Monica Boulevard in Hollywood, California. It was just eight short years later that the company won an Academy Award for its creation of the first Fresnel Spotlight. This would be the first of four Academy Award Certificates.